So those of you who follow me on Instagram, especially my Instastories, would know that I do Boxycharm unboxings every month. I received my very first box July last year and I’ve really been loving every month’s box since.
My friend Simone over at An Ordinary Gal is the reason I subscribed to this monthly beauty subscription box. She dedicated a boxycharm unboxing post every month and I must say, I looked forward to each months post. I couldn’t wait to see how many fantastic items were included in her box. She was also kind enough to write a post on Online shopping Tips and this is where she guides you on how to register with Aramex for an aramexglobalshopper account.
I registered and then applied for the boxycharm subscription sometime in June. I was on a waiting list for just over 2 weeks but made it in time for the July box (which I so badly wanted because they included an eyeshadow palette).
I decided not to do the monthly unboxings on my blog but rather do either a boxycharm favourites or disappointing product post. So today I’ll be sharing with you my best of boxycharm 2017.
- bareMinerals Invisible Light Translucent Powder Duo. This duo has two different finishes, a matte and glow powder. Both powders are ultra fine translucent powders with a creamy feel. The matte powder absorbs oils and is a perfect setting powder that doesn’t leave one looking flat. It blurs ones pores and almost diminishes imperfections. I also use the matte powder to touch up my oily t-zone and I find that this leaves the skin looking flawless. The glow powder has a subtle luminosity to it. It’s great to set a foundation that looks way too matte and flat.
- Boxycharm x blinc Electric Eyes Eyeshadow Palette. I almost lost my mind when I saw swatches of this eyeshadow palette. This palette has five highly pigmented metallic eyeshadows which have an almost wet feel to them. This texture applies smoothly and vibrantly in just one swipe. I use my finger or a flat shadow brush to apply to the eyes.
- Project Beauty Spray Set Go. I was pleasantly surprised by this setting spray. It really does lock your makeup in place, keeping it looking fresh and hydrated but not oily. It also has a pleasant scent. The only bad aspect for me was that my spritzer didn’t spray well so I had to pour the liquid into a Mac fix + bottle.
- The Moda Pro brushes by Royal & Langnickel. We received three brushes and these two are my favourite. The 3rd is a stiff contour brush which I still have but not sure how to use. I absolutely love the rubber handles, it just feels so sleek. This eyeshadows crease brush and face brush both feel super soft and are brushes I reach for the most.
TARTE Rainforest of the Sea Volume II Eyeshadow Palette. I must be honest, when I swatched these eyeshadows for the first time I knew there was something different about them. Tarte describes these as a hybrid formula that’s part powder, part cream. When I used it I felt quite overwhelmed because this was the first time I had used this type of formula and was unsure if it would work. But man oh man, was I impressed. These eyeshadows blend beautifully, have no fallout and wear pretty long.
- PUR Cosmetics Soiree Diaries Eyeshadow Palette. How stunning is this marble and rose gold packaging? This neutral toned palette has a mix of satin, matte and shimmery finishes. I absolutely love the shade selection in this palette. They’re not too warm or too cool and will suit every skin tone. The texture of these eyeshadows are very smooth and apply beautifully. Definitely not letting this baby go. lol
- MAC Cosmetics Eyebrow Pencil (in the shades spiked). I’ve always wanted to try these eyebrow pencils and got really excited when I saw a spoiler that it was included in the September box. Whats even better is that this is the perfect shade for me. It’s a stunning deep brunette shade and the packaging is so user-friendly. It’s super thin which helps with shaping out the eyebrows, so no need for sharpening because it’s a twist up pencil. The formula isn’t too creamy or dry, so exactly what I look for in an eyebrow pencil.
- Studio Makeup Luminous Loose Blush. When I read loose blush I freaked out just a little bit. We all know how messy we can get with loose powders but after watching my girl Kathleen Lights boxycharm unboxing where she showed how best to use this blush, I knew it’s a keeper. The shade gives a beautiful natural flush to the cheeks and the finish is absolutely stunning. These are the types of shades I gravitate to so I knew come rain or shine, that I was gonna make this one work.
- Tarte Tarteist™ Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint (in the shade front row). The Tarte quick dry matte lip paints have become some of my favourite high-end liquid lippies. If you know me, you would know that I LOVE liquid lippies and always looking for ones that are similar to my Jeffree or Limecrime lippies in terms of formula. These did not disappoint. They are extremely pigmented, lightweight, dry pretty fast, are long wearing with an easy to use doe foot applicator. What more can you ask for in a liquid lipstick? The shade is also really stunning, a deep warm brown.
- Dr. Brandt PoreDermabrasion. I mean, Boxycharm upped their game. A Dr. Brandt product? No ways! I’ve been using this sooo sparingly and even hide it from Jason because he’s forever asking if he can use some. We both love this exfoliator, so much so that he actually wants to buy his own. lol. The website describes this as a “unique professional-grade physical and chemical exfoliator and pore perfector in one”. How good does that sound? Tell me you’re not already sold? I can usually tell that a product works well when I see Jason’s pores tightening and the rough texture around his nose smoothing out. So this product right here is a winner and an absolute must-have. The tiny exfoliating particles make for such a pleasant experience because they feel gentle on the skin.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter in Prosecco Pop. Boxycharm seriously outdid themselves with this box and I saved the best product for last. A Becca highlighter! What? I mean, I’ve been seeing this brand and knew I would someday own at least one product but it probably would’ve been sometime in the FAR future and then boxycharm made it happen. *Happy dance*. The Prosecco pop highlighter is described as true, ethereal gold. I love that you can apply this highlighter and blend it to give a softer glow. You can also pack it on to give that in your face kinda glow, just be careful not to go overboard, lol. The texture is so creamy and applies so smoothly. I can’t fault this highlighter, it’s just a remarkable highlighter.
- CoverFX illuminating setting spray. I got a bit nervous when I saw Kathleen Lights unboxing. She explained how she had to shake this product for a while in order for it to mix well because it does contain tiny shimmery particles. I read somewhere that some consider this a setting spray and highlighter in one and I now know what they mean. You honestly don’t need a lot of product. The nozzle also sprays such a fine mist and feels like nothing on the skin so you can easily go overboard, lol, so just be careful. Once you’ve figured out how to shake and spray (like this is even a thing, haha) then you’re good to go. It sets the makeup beautifully and gives a stunning luminosity to the skin.
- BoxyCharm x Luxie Quad Eye Travel Set Brushes. These brushes are just too cute and perfect for travelling. The bristles are super soft and work perfectly. I’ve really enjoyed playing around with these.
- Real Her Blush Kit. This blush kit has 3 blushes ranging from a bright pink (Fearless), medium peach pink (Limitless) to a beautiful bronze colour (Unstoppable). These blushes reminded me of the Elf bakes blushes when I first saw them. My favourite shade has to be Limitless. I love that these have just enough shimmer and pigment to them that gives a subtle sheer glow to the cheeks. They’re definitely buildable.
- Tarte Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara. I was so excited to finally try a Tarte mascara. I’ve seen so many on their website and I tried the mini lights camera lashes that I received in an Ipsy bag and I love it. It gives amazing volume and length so I had high hopes for this one. This mascaras brush has tiny spikes that promise to give a good lift. It does exactly that. Lift the lashes, coats them well and gives pretty decent length. It definitely doesn’t beat the lights, camera lashes mascara when it comes to volume. I usually apply two coats to achieve the desired effect. If you love crazy volume then you won’t like this all that much.
Limited Edition box 2017
- Ofra Advanced Vitamin C Cream. My heart sank when I saw the size of this product. The worst part is that the little information card that usually comes with the box said that this product retails for $50. $50??? So I checked the Ofra website and it does indeed retail for this price. I guess this is the 1st and last time I’ll ever own this product. I’m heartbroken because I’ve been using this cream for the past few weeks and I’m in love. It’s a non-greasy moisturiser that absorbs quickly and works beautifully under makeup. I usually apply this before my primer and I’m not sure what it is but my skin looks flawless with this underneath my makeup.
- Becca First Light Priming Filter Face Primer. The very first time I tried this primer was when I received a sample from Fashionpoliceonline . I swear wanted to cry when I used my last bit. I’ll be honest I grabbed this limited edition box mainly for this primer and the Tarte palette. If you’re looking for a primer that will hydrate, awaken, and colour correct tired, dull skin prior to your foundation then this is the one. I use this primer underneath full coverage matte foundations and I love that it adds just enough hydration to the skin without having you look like an oily mess. My skin just looks so youthful with this underneath my makeup. The best combination I’ve tried so far for beautiful glowy skin without the oily look is the Ofra Advanced Vitamin C cream and this primer. I promise you won’t go wrong. Just remember that a little goes a long way.
- Bare Minerals Lip Gloss. These are called the Gen Nude Buttercream lipglosses and this is in the shade popular. “Gen Nude™ Buttercream Lip Gloss delivers ultra-creamy, moisturizing colour with sheer buildable coverage and balmy, non-sticky shine.” I love that this gloss gives a plump look without that tingling feeling. I also love the shade on my skin tone. Definitely, something I wear when I need a break from liquid lippies.
- Tarte limited-edition be your own tarteist™ eye & cheek palette. Another Tarte eyeshadow palette to my collection? Yes, please! I own two of their Amazonian clay blushes and I absolutely love them and just looking at this universally flattering shade, I knew it would be a winner. This palette has six neutral & deep-toned matte & metallic eyeshadows paired with a full-size long-wearing blush. These have an amazing colour payoff, blend well and are long wearing.
I’ve tried to be brief with my review of each product so that my post doesn’t end up being too long. Hope you guys enjoyed this one. Let me know if you have subscribed to boxycharm and if so, whether some of my favourites were also your favourites. Any product that I mentioned that you perhaps didn’t enjoy too much? Let me know