Hope you’re all doing well and settling nicely into the new year. So about a week ago there was a post going around on Instagram where you would nominate a few people to share 5 random facts about them.
I thought it was such a cool idea and shared mine. Many of you thought that my facts were pretty interesting and asked me to share a few more. So I figured I’d do a post on it and seeing as I’m officially 30 years old I thought why not share 30 things about me.
I know this is probably pretty random but it’s different and I think it’ll be fun for you guys to get to know me a little better.
So here goes. (The first 5 I already mentioned on Instagram but will have them here for those of you who missed them)
1. I’m half Spanish (my dad Spanish and mom coloured (her mom sotho and dad german)).
2. I had a calcium deficiency growing up where I needed to take supplements. I broke my left arm twice and my right arm once ( all just from falling, so I was pretty fragile )
3. I was so passionate about music, I played the keyboard and did voice training in Primary school. Won first place in each category for three consecutive years. Stopped because my parents could no longer afford it.
4. My mom and I stayed in Sebokeng ( a rural area ) with my gran for about 2 years and this is where I learnt to speak Sesotho. I no longer speak it fluently but I do understand it fully.
5. I found love in a club. Lol. Jason and I met in a club ( Natural groove) on the dance floor. We’ll be dating for 10 years this year, got engaged last year January and getting married September this year.
6. I found my biological father at the age of 25 via Facebook. Dad left my mom when I was 6 weeks old. He went back to Paraguay and never returned. One day while visiting my mom and showing her how to work facebook, we ended up searching for the music band/group he was apart of and managed to get in touch with the lead singer of the group. She immediately called him to inform him that his daughter wants to get in touch and he called me the very next day. He doesn’t speak a word of English and I’m still learning to speak Spanish but we’ve been chatting on whatsapp using Google translate.
7. I have one sibling (a younger brother ) from my mom’s side who was my best friend all my life. We’re still pretty close but obviously don’t spend every single day together.
8. I have 3 older brothers from my biological father’s side, so I’m the only girl from both sides.
9. I’ve always wanted a sister. I use to beg my mom to please “give” me a sister but she unfortunately had trouble conceiving after my brother. I cried for weeks when I realised my dreams will never come true. Lol (so selfish)
10. I absolutely LOVE dancing. Everyone who knows me knows that I will not hesitate to get onto a dance floor whenever there is a party. I’m quite a good dancer even if I must say so myself. Wink wink. Lol
11. I’ve always considered myself an introvert but as I’ve grown up I realised that I’m quite bubbly and a people’s person. I wouldn’t necessarily consider myself an extrovert because there are times where I’m not the “life” of the party and would rather take it easy. So I guess I’m an ambivert
12. I used to get embarrassed pretty easily but I’ve learned not to take anything personally and just let things slide
13. I absolutely love children. I don’t have any yet but I dream of having a big family (4 kids) and my life would be made if we can have twins.
14. I adore all animals but my favourite animal is an elephant. There’s just something about them that gives me a sort of serene feeling. I love that they’re huge but yet so peaceful. Gentle giants 💝
15. We have 2 dogs, Cassie (6 years old) and Buddy ( 3 years old). Our dogs complete our lives and our home wouldn’t be what it is without them.
16. I grew very slowly because of my calcium deficiency and was the shortest kid in my class up until grade 3. My mom was so worried, thoughts I’d stay that short all my life (haha). I was teased quite a bit and was self-conscious about my height throughout primary school. I stopped growing in grade 7. Still at 1.58cm and still a size 5 shoe. I’m pleased that I’m not too short. lol. I’d like to think that I’m a cute height.
17. I can be quite the comedian. Although, only around those I’m very comfortable with. I mean, I’ll have you in stitches with my random jokes and silliness.
18. I could eat sushi every single day. (Minus the rice because I’ll just blow up).
19. Favourite food has to be seafood. Jason knows that if he wants to treat me that he should get me seafood. Happiest woman alive every single time.
20. I absolutely love lemons and kalamata olives. I salivate just thinking about lemons. I can peel a lemon and eat it like an orange with a bit of salt, without squinting. I go through phases where I crave olives and can eat a whole pack by myself in one sitting. Weird, I know.
21. I don’t mind doing laundry and cleaning. In fact, I find it quite therapeutic, just don’t ask me to Iron clothing.I Hate it
22. One thing that makes me really uncomfortable is when people give fake smiles. I honestly don’t know how to react to that. My mind tells my body to tense up and I think I end up giving a fake smile back. Awkward, I know!
23. My biggest fear is water – Aquaphobia. Yup! It’s Real. lol. So I can’t swim and it’s not that I don’t wanna learn how to swim but the thought scares me.
24. I love reality shows such as “The amazing race and Survivor. I hate reality shows about other peoples lives. I think it’s such a waste of time.
25. I slipped on a wet dance floor at someone’s wedding and fractured my foot. I feel queasy just thinking about it. This was the most painful thing I have ever experienced.
26. I have a tendency to roll my eyes at things. A bad habit I picked up when I was younger because I never really speak up when I disagreed with certain things so I ended up just rolling my eyes at it. It’s not that cute anymore though haha
27. I’m a recovering people pleaser. I care way less than I used to about what people think. I’m much happier now. Try it, it’ll literally change your life. Lmao!
28. I only have a hand-full of really close friends – literally. I’ve learnt the importance of quality over quantity when it comes to friendships.
29. I don’t have a maid of honour or bridesmaids for my wedding because I don’t have close female friends (which I’m perfectly ok with). I have a “Man of honour” and wouldn’t have it any other way.
30. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE makeup, skincare, in fact, anything beauty related. I’m sure this is pretty obvious. My favourite makeup items has to be lipstick/liquid lipsticks. I own over 100. Shocking, I know.
So these are some facts about me. Hope you guys enjoyed the read. Let me know which of these really surprised you.
Disclaimer: I don’t own the rights to the picture above