I know I’ve already posted a few skincare reviews but I just couldn’t wait any longer and absolutely have to share with you, my thoughts and experience with the Epoch Glacial Marine Mud Mask. I’m sure you know by now that one of the things I do on a weekly basis is at home facial treatments. I live for masks! There’s nothing better than knowing that you’re taking care of your skin and it showing.
A few weeks ago Mariza Osorio a Nu skin distributor from Lush Beauty Products (Facebook page ) posted a Facebook post on one of the beauty pages I follow stating that she was looking for bloggers to review some of the products that she offers on her website. I’m very new to the blogger world but I figured that the only way I’ll be able to market myself is by grabbing such opportunities when/if they present themselves.
Disclaimer: Please note that I received this product in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. All opinions expressed are genuine, truthful and fair-minded.
I contacted her and told her that I was very keen. She responded immediately and WOW what a lovely lady. Super friendly, so informative and even though I wasn’t purchasing any products, she definitely treated me like one of her customers. We made arrangements and I collected the product. I must say I was quite surprised that she gave me a full size (200g), I would’ve been OK with a sample size to use over 2-3 weeks. So you can only imagine how extremely excited I was about this. Lol!
About the Brand:
“Nu skin was founded in 1984 and is a direct selling company that develops and distributes innovative consumer products, offering a comprehensive line of premium-quality beauty and wellness solutions. Nu skin sells more than 200 products in the beauty and wellness categories and Epoch is one of those products. ”
“Designed in balance with nature, Epoch® features efficacious plant wisdom from various indigenous cultures. For every product sold, Nu Skin® donates US$0.25 to Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation®.”
My thoughts and experience:
I have described my skin type in my previous post but just to summarize it again, I have a combination skin type, my t-zone gets extremely oily and the rest of my face is pretty normal. My t-zone isn’t as oily during the winter season but the rest of my face tends to feel like it lacks a little bit of moisture.
I have a few small pores on my nose (my fiance says you can’t even see them but they’re visible to me- “rolling eyes”lol) and a few on my cheeks. Nothing too hectic. The sebaceous filaments (commonly known as whiteheads or blackheads) around my nose look like tiny blackheads. Did you know that blackheads are actually as a result of sebum (oily secretion of the sebaceous glands) reaching the surface and oxidizing, giving the blockage a darker color due to the melanin the sebum contains? Sebum is the bodies natural way of secreting an oily or waxy matter to lubricate and waterproof the skin and hair. So it’s actually not that grose. Just saying! Lol!
The Epoch Glacial marine mud mask by Nu skin is a clay mask with sea botanicals and extremely fine mud particles. It claims to deeply cleanse the skin (remove blackheads), removes dead skin cells, extracts the impurities and rejuvenates the skin to stay healthy. Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?
- The texture – With my very first application the texture seemed very liquidy and I made quite a mess, this was very strange because it didn’t happen anytime thereafter. It has a thick gooey consistency that is very easy to spread. So I would advise that you give it a good shake just to make sure that it returns to that gooey consistency.
- Application – It’s advised to apply a generous layer avoiding the mouth and eye area. Allow the mask to dry for about 15-20 minutes or until it turns a light aquamarine colour. I used a flat foundation brush to apply it evenly over my face. On application, there’s a nice cooling feeling with no distinct or noticeable scent. I left the mask on for 20 minutes and while the mask was drying down I noticed small oily spots around my t-zone, especially on my nose area and on my cheek area closest to the nose. It was clear that this mask was drawing excess oil from my Very oily areas (meaning its clearing my pores) and this got me super excited. I removed the mask by rinsing it with warm water and it removes effortlessly.
I used this mask twice during the 1st week and once a week thereafter. I’ve also tested it on my fiance just to see how well it works on his skin because he has enlarged pores so this seemed like the perfect product for him.
I’m pleased that this product lives up to its claims. It definitely clears the skin deeply by drawing out all impurities. It leaves the skin feeling silky smooth and revitalized. My fiance and I both experienced these results. His pores have definitely improved in size and are not as clogged up.
What is great about masks is that you get the result instantly and you can usually tell if a mask will work for you or not (be it clearer, smoother or just added rejuvenation to the skin).
I, however, believe in maintaining everything you do. Maintain and be consistent with what you have started for long term effective results.
- Superb for eradicating blackheads when an exfoliator just won’t reach them
- Leaves skin feeling and looking silky soft and rejuvenated
- Improves the tone and brightness of one’s skin (this can be seen in my before and after picture above)
- Not as messy as I was expecting it to be in terms of application or removal
- It can stain clothing so be careful when applying or washing off the mud mask.
- The consistency of the mud mask is quite liquidy after it has stood for a while so shake the bottle before squeezing it out the tube
This product definitely gets the thumbs up from me (and my fiance, my test dummy by default, lol). The noticeable changes with our clogged up pores is a good enough reason to continue using this product.
I loved testing out this mask and happy that we have so much product left to use it for a longer period. I think in doing so we’ll be able to tell if it changed any other skin concerns we might have.
I really hope this review was informative enough for you to decide whether you would like to add this mask to your weekly facial treatments.
As always, please do let me know if you enjoyed this post by liking it or commenting.I would absolutely love to hear from you guys. Please also hit the follow button for more exciting reviews and posts.